Accelerated Master's Admissions

What is the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's (BAM)?

BAM allows Mason Engineering undergraduate students to pursue a master’s degree through an accelerated program, and begin taking graduate courses as early as their junior year.

If you are academically strong and currently enrolled in an undergraduate program in the College of Engineering and Computing, you may be approved to take up to 12 credits that will apply to both your current undergraduate degree and a future graduate degree program through our Bachelors/Accelerated Master’s (BAM) program. You may also complete an additional 6 graduate-only credits ahead of enrollment into a future Master’s. These graduate-only credits will not count towards your undergraduate degree.

Why Pursue BAM?

Successful completion of BAM allows you to secure enrollment in your Master’s and complete between 3 and 18 credits of grad level coursework during your undergrad. Ultimately, this can save you up to 12 credits of tuition at the graduate level. This also means that you will earn your Master’s in a condensed timeline helping you fast track your career. Finally, if you successfully complete BAM you do not have to submit a traditional graduate application saving you money on the application fee.

BAM Programs and Coursework

The plan of study for some BAM programs can be found on the following department’s pages. Alternatively, you may contact your department program administrator or advisor directly for information on available BAM coursework.

Application Process


  • December 1, if you would like to begin taking graduate courses in the following Spring term
  • August 1, if you would like to begin taking graduate courses in the following Fall term

Notification and Registration

If your Accelerated Master's application is approved, you will receive an automated email from to check your Application Portal. Your decision will be available to you on your Application Portal.

Approved students are able to register for graduate courses via Mason's Patriot Web system when they have reached at least 75 credits.

Note: Approval for the Accelerated Master's program only guarantees admission to a degree program at a later date if the student maintains the required GPA outlined in the University Catalog, and follows all of the policy requirements below.

Transitioning to your Master's Program

When you apply to graduate from your Bachelor's Degree, you must also complete and submit the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Transition Form

You must:

  • Submit this form in your final undergraduate semester to your undergraduate advisor no later than: 

    • September 15 (if graduating in the fall term)
    • February 15 (if graduating in the spring term)
  • Have a minimum grade of B in every Advanced Standing course listed on the transition form.
  • Receive approval from your undergraduate and graduate advisors.
  • Follow your departments procedures to electronically submit the form to the Coordinator for Graduate Academic Affairs, Hugh Miller at

Questions? Contact Us

Graduate Studies


Phone: 703-993-1512